MSNBC reports the story of a woman who had to get her right arm and shoulder amputated because of necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria) after she injected bath salts -- which is the name for dangerous street drugs that can also be smoked or snorted -- into her arm.
Turns out, the injection site on her arm had been infected by streptococcus bacteria, which was eating away at her flesh and killing her muscle, MSNBC reported.
Bath salts usually contain the drugs mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV); the drugs are also known as White Lightning, Ivory wave, Bliss and Hurricane Charlie, the Associated Press reported. Taking the drugs can lead to suicidal thoughts, paranoid, hallucinations and rapid heart rate.
Bath salts aren't the only drugs linked with flesh-eating disease. Recently, cocaine was pinned for a number of flesh-eating disease outbreaks through Los Angeles and New York. Good Morning America reported that cocaine cut with the drug levamisole, a veterinary drug, is linked with the flesh-eating disease.