HAVELOCK, N.C. — Police say a North Carolina man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.
Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning.
City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.
Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame.
Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation.